Monday, November 13, 2006

Another day, another sinus infection, a dying cat

Yes, I am working on what is most likely my 5th infection of the year. I am so tired of sinus pain. I think this is the mold allergy. After the leaves fall, it rains. About 17 minutes later, my nose starts to drip. At least it is not 80 degrees out today, too.

My wonderful cat, Luci, is dying. She has a hyperactive thyroid and given that she is almost 17, there is little the vet can do for her. She is beginning to shut down, forgetting the litter box, sleeping in strange places. I wanted a cat very much when I got her. I was living in Summerville, SC at the time. I went to the pet store to get rabbit food and fell in love with this kitten. Ended up getting her free with a bag of cat food. I named her Luci because my then husband thought Luci was an awful name for a child (it is actually quite popular NOW, not in 1990 when Brittany was all the rage). Luci was quite the cat. She loved to sleep in the laundry basket and on my pillow. She chased wads of paper and would even bring them back. She also loved ribbon. The mailbox key was on a silky red ribbon and she really liked to hide the key. Also the box springs to our bed had a tiny hole in it and Luci would get inside and thump around (very freaky when one is sleeping). She was a fun kitten. Then my sailor man shipped out for the Persian Gulf and war. I was in a bind and had to move back to Georgia to finish my last class for my degree (see previous post regarding worst birthday- nothing sucks more than being alone, with your honey off in a war zone, and finding out you really didn't graduate from college AFTER being fired from a video store and failing the eye exam for the now expired driver's license... did I mention the very bad haircut?) SO, my father, who hated cats, said no way to the cat. My sister agreed to take her in. In transit to Georgia, a can of paint fell on the pet taxi and Luci was now a lovely shade of Vanilla Creme. She ran away from my sister's house, turning up under the porch after a few days. I took her back to Charleston with me after I finished school. A few years later, she ran away from home and came back missing her Genuine Faux Diamond collar and a chunk of her tail. She never told me what happened, but she has never set foot outside (except to move to GA, and then MD) again. She never liked kids, so once she realized the that THING we brought home in a basket was in fact ALIVE, she started living under the bed. She recently came out and started to socialize, let the kids pet her and torment the dog. And we have noticed that she is getting feeble and very skinny (although she has always maintained her girlish figure). We Check Spellingknow the end is coming, but we don't be the ones to end it for her. I am waiting for the right time to say goodbye. It will be hard, not to just say goodbye to a companion I have known my entire adult life, but to see the last remaining bit of my former life, my former self, disappear.

No comments: