Monday, November 20, 2006

Ten years

I've been married ten years, as of the 16th of November. The in laws were sick, so we took our 2 kids to dinner with us. Actually, they were very well behaved. Not exactly a romantic evening, mind you, but still very pleasant. We still went out alone this weekend- I got 2 nights out!

We went to Fells Point and had Indian food (a great compromise for the vegetarian/omnivore couple). I had Aloo Gobhi (curried cauliflower and potato) and some awesome samosas. He had some poor mammal. We followed that up with a couple of beers at Bertha's (Eat Bertha's Mussels), where we met a guy in town from Atlanta for the Falcons game (they did lose, by the way).

So, that was my anniversary weekend- not too exciting, but then again being married that long has its pros and cons and "predictable" falls into both categories. I have been WITH someone since I was 18 (not the same someone, but still). I met my husband the day after my divorce was final. Funny, on the day I divorced my first husband, I picked him up and we drove to court. Then we ate a late breakfast at Shoney's and went to Best Buy to get a new VCR for me (he did take everything with a plug on it). That night we made a stir fry, ran into someone he met in the Navy and watched a movie on my new VCR. The next day I met my now husband. I never said my life was normal. Thankfully he was a patient man who tolerated it, but didn't understand WHY I continued to go hiking with my ex. He trusted me and let me have a friendship with someone who was important to me. My first husband and I were better friends than spouses. Once he couldn't tell me what to do we got along great. I think it was a relief for both of us.

My husband is currently downstairs playing a softball video game with both kids on our ancient PlayStation (I think we might be the only people in Maryland with the original PlayStation). I am sure he has a cat sitting on him and a dog on his feet. This is one reason I love this man.

No comments: