Saturday, July 11, 2009

wow- time flies when you're drinking rum.....

I can't believe I haven't written in almost a month. We have been busy, though. Vacation was great and I didn't want to come home. But all good things must end and here I am.

To update any one who is interested- Helen has been diagnosed ADHD. That is just step one. We were given the option of leaving the pediatrician's office with a prescription or to seek a psychologist for a full evaluation. We are going for the second option because we still need to rule out anything else, plus I want her monitored if we opt for meds. I am fine with meds; David, not so much. He still thinks that ADHD is a disorder invented by pharmaceutical companies. He listens to too much talk radio. The people who spout that kind of nonsense don't know anything about child development, psychology or have a child with ADHD. I want some king of occupational therapy to help her learn to function, but if meds can help her focus and reach her potential, then so be it.

I will get around to posting pictures from vacay as soon as I can- posting pictures is hard on this sight!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Susan, if it makes you feel any better when I was a teenager and I finally got meds that I had needed for so long, it was life-changing. People can say it is too easy to take a pill to make behavior better, but those people have the benefit of normal brain chemistry. Obviously I'm talking about a different dx and meds than for Helen, but like you said, if it makes her able to function better than that's what she needs. If she gets older and doesn't need it anymore, than great. If she needs it for the rest of her life, that's fine too. I say be glad it is available if it helps.

To everyone who second guesses you, boo! You are a great Mom!

Susan said...

Thanks, Hope. This has been a LONG road- but you already know that! She is currently taking Metidate. It makes her feel bad in the afternoon and I'll be discussing dosage and alternatives at her appointment in July.