Thursday, May 28, 2009

bipolar?

Someone who is close to my child suggested it today.  This is not the first time I've heard it, but I am not sure.  I have read several articles and seen lists, and I'm thinking "not really".  She has had rages and such, she exhibits mood swings and such, but those usually occur when she is asked to do something or change activities, which is more in keeping with another disorder, not bipolar- she turns it on and off- she must be the most rapid cycling person on the planet- or it is something else.  Right now, I am leaning more toward ADHD with Executive Dysfunction.   But maybe she is- she is usually pissed or sad, and when she is happy it is over the top and annoying.  This is so unbelievably hard and I have no idea where to go or who to talk to, or even trust.  

2 comments:

Kelly Carroll said...

Bi-polar seems to be a common diagnosis among children these days, but has a lot of controversy surrounding it. I don't know if you watch the PBS show Frontline but they did an excellent show about this subject. I recommend seeing it and you watch the show online

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/medicatedchild/

Susan said...

i just don't see the manic side- her "up" swings last hours not weeks. I personally feel that it is often over diagnosed these days because of the way it is written in the DSM. I personally know people who were diagnosed with it, came off meds and nothing happened- because they were misdiagnosed. If she is bipolar, it is definately not BP1, more like mixed or other cycling variety.