Monday, November 15, 2010

I have reconnected with quite a few people via facebook in the past year or so. For the most part, it has been a good experience. And also, enlightening.

When I was in college I pledged a sorority. There were about 50 girls that I considered sisters. At the time I admired and looked up to quite a few of them. Some carried themselves with with a dignity and grace that I only dreamed of. One sister that I thought was one of the most beautiful and wonderous creatures ever (she was a senior) broke up with her boyfriend. I admired the strength and grace that she showed despite any sadness she might have felt. I wanted to be just like her- I was still miserable from a break up months before.

Another girl, a pledge sister, was so unbelievably organized and put together. I was envious of the fact that was dressed to perfection, beautiful and really read the books for English........ And she was so smart......

There are quite few others- girls that I never felt "equal" to, but wanted to be like. Fast forward 20 years- years that I did not stay in touch, as we were never close- and I am amazed to find how much we have in common. The fabulous senior? Has a wonderful dry wit and gets my jokes. The organized smart one- same thing....... I am also finding out that they also held me in high regard- SHOCKING . Maybe I was better and more memorable than I had imagined.......

No comments: