Wednesday, July 04, 2012

4th of July


My father was born on the fourth of July.  Now that he is gone, after being out of my life for years before that, I get kind of sad on the 4th.  I realized last year that I miss the stuff we used to do on the 4th.  There was usually a cookout, there was always homemade ice cream and fireworks.  We would go to the old mill area of Covington, and sit in the road in front of Trinity Methodist Church and watch fireworks with friends.  After my nieces and nephews were born, we had bigger gatherings.  So, I miss all that junk.  Today David is making peach ice cream and we will go somewhere to see fireworks.  Not a big gathering, but at least I get my ice cream.  And I will think of my Daddy and remember when I was little.  Happy Birthday, Lanier.

No comments: