Sunday, July 08, 2012

Dear Boy in High School,

I wanted to say I'm sorry.  I would tell you in person or in a letter or on Facebook if I knew how to get in touch with you.  I was a freshman and you were a junior.  I do not even remember what class we had together.  But recall joining in with my friend who made fun of your shirt.  We called you "crazy quilt".  I am still,  30 years later, appalled at myself for it.  It was wrong and I had never done anything like that before.  But I thought my friend was funny and I would have done anything to make her like me.........  Even if I hurt someone's feelings.

Truth is, I thought you were sort of cute.  And I got to know you better the next year.  You were sweet, too!   And funny.  I would have gone out with you if you had asked.  But I ruined that by trying to be impress someone.  I am sure you turned out to be a great man, and that anyone would be lucky to know you.  You probably don't even remember me or the shirt incident- you pretty much ignored us, even though I could tell it bothered you......  But I remember, and have told my daughter the story.  I hope she knows it is not worth insulting someone for a laugh.

Susan

No comments: