Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Unfair Division of Labor

To: Husband
From: Me
Re: Morning Duties
As it stands, I currently perform the following jobs on school mornings:
haul laundry basket to the basement
transfer laundry from washer to dryer
start new load of laundry
haul laundry upstairs
fold laundry
make coffee
unload dishwasher
make lunches/snacks for kids
put together any items needed for after school
carry laundry upstairs
shower and get myself dressed
make breakfast
let dog out
get kids dressed
if it is trash day- make sure trash cans are emptied
pack up any school items
pile everything by the door
clean up breakfast dishes
find shoes
do my hair and makeup
try to get children to the door before 7:30
You currently perform the following duties:
open kids' doors and tell them to get up (if I haven't already)
take a shower
get dressed
get on computer
drink coffee
drive kids to school
As you can see, you really don't do much to help with the children in the morning. This was understandable before I began work. However, next school year I will not only be working 40 hours per week, but will have to have the kids out of the house 20 minutes earlier than the present time. I refuse to get up any earlier than I already do, and I can only do so much at night. Due to this, you will be required to get up earlier yourself and help me. Please let me know which responsibilities you would like to assume. Please keep in mind that I also hold responsibility of afternoon activities, all housekeeping duties, kids' homework and any school papers, shopping for groceries and household supplies, most of the cooking, clearing the kitchen after meals, tucking kids in, reading to them, cleaning the gerbils' cage, and doling out required medicines. Add to this the school things that don't get done at school- IE entering grades into the computer, grading papers and lesson plans. You bathe Zachary and clean up after Ozzy. If a fair division or duty is not established, I will have no choice but to refuse to do them until resolution.
Sincerely,
The Wife

No comments: