Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Rude much

Scene:

I am at the pool, talking to two friends, Annie and Betsy. A third person walks up, says hello to me. A minute later a fourth walks up. Third woman (who I do not formally know) says to Annie and Betsy, "Annie and Betsy, this is my sister in law." Says nothing to me. Umm, I am still standing here in midconversation with Annie. Per any etiquette rules I have ever learned, this is also the opportunity for lady-I-do-not-formally-know to say, "I'm sorry, I have forgotten your name, but I am Judy and this is my sister in law, Jane." So now I feel awkward and invisible. And she still doesn't know my name even though she sees me every day and we obviously know the same people. Also not in keeping with any etiquette rules I have ever heard of, as they were intended to make people fell at ease. Why are there so many rude people in this world? Do they just not think?

No comments: