Monday, July 14, 2014

Therapy Day

Part of the treatment plan for Helen includes therapy.  She goes bi-weekly.  And she will not go with her father, so I have to do it.  And I have to go in with her because she will tell her therapist everything is"fine" and nothing productive happens.  I hate this because I know she would get more from therapy without me in the room, but only if she shares.

So today her lack of maturity and acceptance of rules came up.  It really is the damnedest thing because this person who refuses to accept, acknowledge or ask for help, really is one of the most helpless individuals I have ever known.  So I am to give her chores (HA). We'll see how that works out, lol. Plus she has to do one nice thing for her father or reach out to him in some way.

I generally do not like therapy day becauses she is typically resistant to going.  "Why do I have to go to therapy?  It's so stupid." She says that about her psychiatrist and everything else we are supposed to do, too.  Bipolar is best treated using a 3 prong approach: therapy, medication and environment.  I am supposed to provide her with adequate sleep, structure, guidance and responsibility.  Yeah, no easy task when you are dealing with a person who doesn't want to admit they need these things. At least the meds are working.......

I just really need these two back to speaking.
David and Helen- graduation 2014

No comments: