Monday, November 24, 2008

Why I don't Eat Meat & other Notions

I have been on again/off again for several phases of my life. The most recent transformation came about 3 years ago while trying to figure out what was wrong with my child.  And I  recently had someone challenge me and it made me think about some things.  Namely, what I feel I am doing right, plus what I need to do better.  I have gotten a little lax about some issues.

Once again, here is the list:

1. Factory farming is wrong- it is abusive to the animals and the landscape.
2. You can a live a long healthy life without consuming animals.
3. If everyone went without meat one day per week, the world would be much nicer- I am picking up the slack for 6 other people.
4. I could no longer live with the guilt of eating a living critter.

As for my "green-ness"-

1. I don't really recycle. I do save all the paper to take to the bin at school. We are paid per pound.
2. I don't buy juice boxes and other single serving food items. Bulk is cheaper, less packaging and less garbage.  My children rarely eat school lunch because a) the food is cheap and processed and b) there is much waste involved with the paper goods and such.  They use a great lunchbox.
3. I own an SUV. It was the compromise. It was also the one that got the best MPG in our price range. I combine trips, regulate tire pressure, etc. to decrease consumption. Not as good as my old Honda (42 highway, TYVM), but better than my old Ford Taurus wagon.
4.  I make drinks from concentrate and/or powders in my own pitcher and everyone has a SIGG.  I prefer my own tap water.  I almost always take my own coffee.
5.  We try to keep energy use down, we changed the hot water heater,  bought a new fridge, changed to florescent bulbs, turn off and unplug what is practical.
6.  My kids are the ones walking around picking up trash on beaches and campsites.  Cool.
7. I buy local and in season as much as possible.

Social justice-
1.  I donate regularly to my church and the school.
2.  We give to the local food bank, Birth Right, Goodwill, Value Village, the county pound (every year on Ozzy's birthday) and various missions.  David gives blood monthly (platelets).  
3.  My children make bag lunches for the homeless every month (they shop, make sandwiches, decorate the bags); they make Christmas boxes for Samaritan's Purse every Christmas (not the best organization, but the children love making the boxes).
4.  The children's outgrown snow boots, hats, gloves, etc. are sent to the Appalachian region every winter.
5.  My clothes are given to a battered women's shelter.
6. Helen has participated in the Polar Bear Plunge for Special Olympics since she was 4.  This past January was Zachary's first year.
7.  We believe that it is our responsibility to take care of those in need.

What I need to do different:
1. I need to spend less money on stuff I don't need.
2.  I need to reduce the amount of things that go into the garbage.
3.  I need to completely eliminate dairy from my diet again.
4.  I need to be more prudent in purchases of health/beauty items that are tested on animals and packed in wasteful packaging.

So thank you, friend, for making me think.  I get pretty set in my ways, it is good to have a challenge.  I am trying to raise good children to become good adults.  My faith is strong, stronger than I realized.  Some may look down on the Catholic faith, but I think it does more good than harm (no priest jokes, please).   All religions have had a share of ills; no one thing is truly perfect.  If my life circumstances had been different, I think I would have ended up in a hut somewhere raising goats for the poorest of the poor and teaching them to read.  I just always had too much to walk away from- too many responsibilities and relationships.  Maybe when I'm 60.

No comments: