Saturday, January 10, 2009

bullies and other stuff

I think everyone as had to deal with bullies (or has been one) in their lifetime.  It is so hard to watch children struggle with this, especially girls.  Girl bullies are very different from boy bullies.  Boys may rely solely on physical strength to manipulate.  Girls are psychological, strategic and down right mean.  Some are so talented, that no one notices on the surface that they are bullies.

Over the past couple of years, we have had to deal with several incidences of meanness and bullying.  Mostly with the neighbor.   Helen is finally seeing it for what it is.  As she says, "I'll be nice because I have to live next to her, but I don't trust her."  Well put, my smart girl.  This has been a slow process, however, with lots of tears and fights.   I'm just glad she is starting to see it for what it really is.  I just wonder, what do you do when the bully is someone you can't get away from- like a co worker or a family member?  The are some "old" bullies out there......

No comments: