Saturday, January 03, 2009

Fondue pot...

I gave David a fondue pot for Christmas.  We have a very old one that uses Sterno to keep everything hot, but with two hyper kids and the fact that it scorches the food on the bottom, we wanted to "update".  Any way, I broker 'er in last night.  I made Mexican Dip (sorry, not a true fondue).  It was actually pretty tasty, although Helen would not eat it because of the tomatoes.  Zachary ate a big bowl of it in front of SpongeBob.  Here is the recipe, in case you live on Mars...

Mexican Dip (I halved the recipe)
1 pound Velveeta
1/2 tube Gimme Lean Sausage
1/2 can Rotel

Brown the fauxsage in a skillet, breaking it up into very small chunks.  Cut Velveeta into chunks.  Put all ingredients into the fondue pot and turn it to warm.  Sir every so often until it is all melty and delish.  I also added a scoop of fat free cream cheese (because Velveeta is SO low fat- NOT).  I also had leftovers on cornbread for breakfast.  David ate it and only complained a little that it was fake sausage.  If I wasn't eating it, he probably would never have guessed.

Tonight I used my left-over black eyed peas to make a "gumbo".  Nothing fancy, just beans, okra, a can of tomatoes and some veg broth.  Served with rice and left over kale.  Yum.  SO there you have what I ate today.

ALSO- Helen got her purple belt today.  She still has about 2 years, 3 months to go for her black belt and I don't think I'll survive it.  But, if she makes it, she will be an 11 year old who can kick your ass.

No comments: