Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I was talking to a friend recently about Prince Charming. That got me thinking about little girls. Not too long ago, I wrote about raising boys in our world. Boys have some pretty unrealistic role models. But girls have it bad, too.

Think about it. Boys are exposed to super heroes, idiot characters and weird men with big arms and small heads. Girls, well, girls' ideal men consist of Ken and Prince charming. Clearly, not the most manly of men. They spend their time brown nosing Barbie and Cinderella. They do not have a Dream House, a cool car, or even a JOB. They follow her around, because they cannot survive without her. Ken would never ask Barbie where his socks/drill/wallet are! Prince Charming would never leave the seat up. Reality? Some guy pissed off that he will never be Spiderman and leaving his dirty underwear on the floor, usually adjacent to the hamper because he missed (while bragging what good aim he has).

Do you see the lopsidedness to this? No wonder no one can stay married! I have no idea how I ended up actually LIKING men. Maybe it is because 75% of all women I know are annoying on most levels. They expect Prince Charming and Ken. Someone that will live for them. This is not realistic or practical. I hope that my daughter learns that most men are just boys who still want to be Spiderman. They can be selfish, lazy and inconsiderate. But we should love them any way. And watch out for those Prince Charming types- they are usually chasing Ken.

No comments: