Friday, October 15, 2010

I've been spending too much time thinking again. I shouldn't do that- it makes my brain sore. Seriously, though, the past is generally best left behind you. But every once in a while, something enlightening comes along. This time, it involves a broken heart.

I didn't really have serious relationships when I was younger. I was pretty immature most of the time and had no idea of anything outside of Covington, GA. I certainly had no idea what I wanted. And I never really got asked out that much. But I did have a boyfriend my senior year of high school. You know the kind- the class ring, the standing Saturday night date, the one you knew you'd go to the prom with........

I was accepted to Brenau in early admissions. Brenau was the only place I had applied. I had only visited Agnes Scott, Georgia State (which would have been as a commuter since there were no dorms then) and Brenau. My parents had already said "absolutely not" to UGA (wise move, dad). So I knew where I was headed after graduation. I had no clue what I wanted to study, but I did know I wanted more from life than I would have if I didn't go.

About a month before it was time to leave, the boyfriend broke up with me. I never knew why and I was crushed. I don't think I ate for days and I didn't sleep very well, either. My parents made me get a job to "take my mind off it"...... Yeah, cuz workin' the drive thru at KFC really takes your mind off getting dumped and feeling sorry for yourself.

Who knows if we had what it took to stay together through four years of college. Who knows if we would have ended up married with a bunch of kids and celebrating 50 years of bliss. I can tell you I was crushed at the time. I can tell you I have many friends that are currently happily married to a high school sweetheart. And I can tell you that even though I was already married and living in another state, I was sad the day he got married to someone else- proof that he had totally forgotten me. And when my mother told me he had the score of the UGA/GA Tech game on the soles of his shoes for all to see, I laughed my ass off.........

No comments: