Tuesday, December 16, 2008

And yeah, me...

I am getting to close the library the first week of January.  I have started entering the books into the new system. I am at 437.   That is one week of work.  I have about 3500 to 4000 books to enter.  If I can have 20 (I actually plan to do more) hours to work instead of about 4 in a week, I could make a dent. I will have to teach 6th grade, but no one else (their schedule doesn't permit them to miss- they won't have anywhere to go).  So that is good news for me.  I also have a bunch of books that will need to be processed, too.  That means school stamps, spine labels, bar codes, due date sticker and any protective covering.  I will hopefully have a volunteer for that.  After this is done, I will be able to use the computer to check out books rather than write everything down on a piece of paper.  So that is my boring life and job.  I move dusty books around and try to get kids who have been plugged into video games and computers all their lives to read.  And use something besides Wikipedia for research.

Most people I know don't read.  I've only been involved with one guy that was a reader.  That was kinda neat- we'd each get a book from the used book store, read and trade, then go back.  That was actually fun for a dork like me.  David has read pretty much no books in his adult life.  Not that he isn't smart- he just has other interests.  If it was abook about how to make something, he'd read it.

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

Wait....you mean Wikipedia isn't the only way to research. There is always google too, ya know. ;)

Susan said...

we even have W blocked at school and then teacher tell the kids to use it! of course our encyclopedias are 15 years old.......