Monday, June 21, 2010

Another No Oven/Stove supper....

Chicken Spaghetti

2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
2 TBL butter
2 TBL flour
3 cups milk
1 box whole grain spaghetti noodles, cooked al dente
grated cheese (mozzarella or Parmesan or both)

In a skillet, melt the butter. Mix in the flour, stir until light brown (a roux!). Add the onions and saute until translucent. Whisk in the milk, stir until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.

Put this in the Crock Pot for 3 hours on low. Add the noodles and stir. Cook for another hour. Sprinkle the cheeses on top and let it sit a few minutes to melt. Serve with steamed (in the microwave) broccoli or a green salad.

*I had chicken left over- I used our big roaster to cook two chickens at once.
** It is a million degrees outside and we do not want to heat up the kitchen anymore than necessary. For this reason, I have decided that I will not use my oven this summer (although I will have to break down and make pound cake soon). I have been utilizing the Crock Pot, electric skillet, griddle and grill.
UPDATE: this turned out really good. I made the sauce and cooked the noodles in the morning. About 2 pm, I put the sauce in the Crock Pot. At 4:30 I added the noodles and cranked it up to high because the kids needed to eat early. Helen said it is a keeper and Zachary ate all of his after he picked out the onions.

No comments: