Sunday, June 27, 2010

Good-bye Dairy Products

As some of you may know, Helen had a dairy allergy. We thought she outgrew it because she no longer had eczema and stomach issues. I think we made a wrong assumption. Since allowing dairy back into her life, she has ballooned in weight, become even more moody and irritable (if that was even possible) and all she wants is carbs and dairy. And meat. She turns her nose up at anything that looks like it grew in the dirt and craves ice cream and yogurt. So, I think it is a done deal..... dairy is going. This time will be harder because #1- she doesn't believe us that there is a problem, and #2- she is 10, not 5. She is on her own more, makes her own food and does not always make good choices when away from home. But, I need to get a handle on this and we are about to become a dairy free house. Before, I gave up dairy as well. And, frankly, felt great! Zachary is also lactose intolerant, so it won't kill him either. David, who says milk is for baby cows, has a harder time realizing that milk is where you least expect it. He doesn't drink milk or eat yogurt, but loves cheese. Oh, well. The only way this is going to work is by total elimination and going it dairy free and not having it in the house. She cannot eat what we do not have. This is going to be painful!

I am starting today, purging the pantry that needs to be cleaned out any way. The good thing about this is that I have not been "big" shopping in two weeks, so the pantry is getting bare. And I will need to shop alone so I can read labels and focus my energy to something besides telling Zachary to get off the cart and repeating the word "NO". My goal is to be "detoxed" before school starts back. I am considering gluten free, too, but that will be another chapter. I do not think I can do it all at once. Cheese, I will miss you terribly..........

3 comments:

Vee said...

Very good post! I agree that dairy is for baby cows!! Good Luck! You can do it!!

Eileen said...

You can do it! I'll send you a great recipe for dairy-free "nacho" cheese sauce. Great on chips - or in a burrito - or just with a spoon! My recommendation is to still try and keep her food as normal as possible - just with dairy free versions. Empty out a Parmesan cheese container and fill it with nutritional yeast. It's a great "cheesy" topping. What are her favorite foods? I also have some good recipes for vegan quiche and mac & cheese.

Susan said...

I always appreciate good recipes! I used to make a mac and cheese for her, but she preferred Road's End from a box.... She made the switch once, but I am skeptical of her willingness to change now. She already drinks soy milk- never switched to cow's milk and says it is "weird". Cheese will be the hardest thing- substitutes are really not that great.