Tuesday, June 15, 2010

More updates

For those who follow and were wondering, Helen had a full neuropsychiatric evaluation in March 2010. She is above average in intelligence (duh), but her executive function skills are below that. So, what that means is she is very smart, but cannot organize her thoughts, actions, feelings, objects, etc. in a manner one would expect someone so smart to be able to do. That part of her has not matured at the same rate. Therefore, she gets frustrated, angry (you name it)...... The primary problem (ADHD) results in a secondary problem (anxiety) and we have melt down. All things I already knew, but could not explain.

David and I had an IEP-A meeting last week and left with a 504 plan. Please don't ask me what the difference is. Google it and then tell me because I am still unsure myself! She will receive more time on tests, she will be able to take them in a quiet place (this is for standardized tests, not regular ones). She will have a binder system for her school work and will check in and out with the teacher. We will put together her schedule so she can see at a glance what comes next and plan her day accordingly. She will also have a watch that beeps five minutes before transitions. I feel better about things and am hopeful for her. Now that I have this chapter behind us, I will try to talk less about her issues and focus on something else.

No comments: