Monday, August 02, 2010

FOOD!

Now that our vacation is over, I am thinking about how we eat. David has high cholesterol and so do I. I need to lose weight; my kids prefer junk food over most other things. Gotta get serious about it.

We have been doing better, but I am leaning more and more toward REAL food. The kind that doesn't have a nutrition label, cuz God made it. Since we are dairy free (most of the time), there are some exceptions to the use of processed products. In fact, not all processing is bad. You wouldn't say no to canned tomatoes in the middle of January, right?

So I am going to try something. I know I cannot commit to using ONLY whole foods, local foods, etc. I have kids who are very active- they play sports, they go to parties. Very hard to control all foods they eat without support (which I would have very little of). But, I can control what is in this house and what they take to school. Zachary will be a bit easier than his sister to get on board. He is picky, but he doesn't have the food anxiety that Helen has.

I will be using whole grain pastas and whole wheat flour. I will not buy food in a box. The hardest part will be beverages. I hate water and so do my kids. I will drink iced tea, but I am Southern, dang it. I need me some sugar in it. Hold the lemon. A Diet Coke is also lovely. And my coffee like I like my men- hot and sweet........ Plus I just crave dessert......... And rum. My children do not like vegetables, rice, beans, etc. They like anything better when battered and fried. So I have my work cut out for me.

For inspiration:

No comments: