Sunday, August 22, 2010

Holy Crap, Bat Man!

I am always amazed and overwhelmed by how much crap my kids accumulate (which is funny seeing how I never buy them anything, according to them). I went school supply shopping and decided to attack the Target bags piled up in the corner and start organizing back packs..... then that turned into trying to find homes for everything else in the dining room! Let me just say, there is not enough room in my house for everything they want to keep. Time to purge again. Get out the big black trash bags (because you know if they see what you are throwing away, it was their favoritest thing ever).

In this house we all have a tendency to abandon what we are not using rather than deal with it. And then it sits for about three months, until we forget why we had it in the first place, or it is completely wrapped in dog fur. I always say I will do better- I purge, clean and put away. It lasts about 3 1/2 minutes and then wham!- another mess.

But I came up with a brilliant plan to solve one problem we have here...... socks! I will spend a few minutes every Sunday doing one thing, if nothing else....... making sure there are 5 pairs of white socks for each child in a basket DOWNSTAIRS. Not in the their bedrooms, not in the sock drawer. Why? Because they get dressed and then come downstairs without their socks every single day. Then I have to send them up for socks, they spend 10 minutes in their rooms and return to the foyer with no socks. I have to go upstairs, mad and late, to discover there aren't any in the drawer any way! Not this year!!!!!!! I will buy 3 times as many socks as I think I need and maybe I can scrape together 5 pairs for each child every Sunday. This doesn't solve my storage crisis, but at least maybe there will be no sock drama this year.

No comments: