Saturday, August 30, 2008

The great locker project


I am still not totally finished, as I need to stain the lockers and then paint the hall. My walls look like they have been through 11 years, two kids, three cats, one dog and a nasty man. It is PAST time to paint, lol. To see the before photos, click here. Here are the after photos-
Zachary is very excited about his locker and puts his things away, at least most of the time. Helen is still getting used to it, but is doing pretty well. They each have a basket in the bottom portion of their locker. These hold personal items like mp3 players, Leapsters, sunglasses... the kinds of junk I am always having to pick up. It is nice to say "it's in your locker". To the left I have a smaller 2 cube unit- there is a basket for David and a basket for me. I had to get this because there was no where for us to put the mail or things from David's pockets... The file hanger is divided into sections for each person, plus bills and misc. I put things that I need, but not right away, like refills for prescriptions, school papers, girl scout junk. I've been doing that for about a year now and it works pretty well for me. I am not running around wondering where the paper is. I had to hang a smaller cork board. I liked the big one, but there was no room to hang it unless I hung it vertically and then I'd have no place for keys. I will probably hang the big one some where else soon. At the bottom of the stairs I still have a basket of shoes, mostly crocs and such, as school shoes are now in the lockers. The large polka dot bag contains Helen's sparring gear. I also have tote bags (these are a life saver) that we use daily for many things, my camera bag and purse.
I am really trying to work with the kids to put things where they belong- backpacks and shoes go to the lockers when we come in the door and lunchboxes to the kitchen. I usually have to remind Helen, but Zachary has so far remembered. Can you tell he's my child? Helen knows, she just wants to see if I will remind her. Her room is still a hot mess, though. One challenge at at time.....

No comments: